SmartQuant Discussion

Automated Quantitative Strategy Development, SmartQuant Product Discussion and Technical Support Forums
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:23 am

All times are UTC + 3 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:30 pm 

Hi

I am paper trading a portfolio of futures with IB. But before I want to execute a trade, I would like to know the margin requirement (in order to keep my my total margin-to-equity ratio below a certain security level).

How can I get in OQ the margin requirement for a specific futures contract from IB before I make the trade?

Thanks for your help!

Boris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:39 am 

There is a Margin property for both Instrument and Position. The Instrument.Margin is, according to the API documentation, the instrument initial margin. I would think that you'd need to be relying on IB for the Instrument data in order for that value to be set properly, though. I don't know how to manually request it from IB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Boris,

I think you can obtain some information from IB in BrokerInfo window(View->BrokerInfo) - thats all that IB sends from TWS to OQ.

Regards,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:23 pm 

Thanks for your answers.

I already checked BrokerInfo, but there I can only see the total margin of my account, and this information is based on current positions I am invested in.

Conclusion is: Within the OQ framework, I cannot check the margin of a specific instrument before I make the trade. Is that right?

Of course I can check the margin of the account after I have done the trade, but this is unsatisfactory. In IBs TWS I can check the margin before I make the trade. Unfortunately it seems this is not possible within OQ. I am wondering how people are trading futures with OQ without this possibility?

Regards,
Boris

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:31 pm 

Wacka wrote:
There is a Margin property for both Instrument and Position. The Instrument.Margin is, according to the API documentation, the instrument initial margin. I would think that you'd need to be relying on IB for the Instrument data in order for that value to be set properly, though. I don't know how to manually request it from IB.

I still don't get what the Margin property significants - I know it is an initial margin, but - is it in dollars, in percents, is it a multiplier? Lets imagine I have a stock instrument, like AAPL, price $400 per share. Let's assume the initial margin is 50% for this stock (standard across most brokers).
So if I buy 100 shares 400 each, margin used should be 20k. What I setup in instrument margin? 0.5 nor 50 seems to do the job?