SmartQuant Discussion

Automated Quantitative Strategy Development, SmartQuant Product Discussion and Technical Support Forums
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:51 pm

All times are UTC + 3 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:14 pm 

Hi,
My tradingstrategie is based on end of day prices and that is fine if you backtest only but now Im about to start using smartquant to apply my strategy in real live.
I would like to know if I can use day bars to run a analysis, get a signal to buy or sell and act on this info in the market (open or close a position) before the market closes.

If the answer to my question is a no, than I would need to run my strategie at a specific tiem a day (lets say 5 minutes to the close of the market). How can I
set the barrange of the day (specifying open and close time of the bar)?

Thanks in advance, Im looking forward to work with smartquant

Kind Regards Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:20 pm 

Hi,

this FAQ discusses how to use timer in simulation and realtime modes viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6229

Regards,
Anton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:29 pm 

Thank you for posting a link to that topic Anton. Please correct me if Im wrong but I understand that it's possible to set a timer to trigger an action. So are you saying that in order to trade at the end of a trading day, i need to set a timer otherwise I would be too late and the execution could only take place in the next morning at the opening of the market?

Regards Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:51 pm 

Are you trading intraday as well? Do you have stops that you trigger intraday?

In any case I would suggest to collect 5min bars and then trade on a bar that comes let's say 5 or 10 min before market close. There is no such thing as "daily" bar in live trading...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:42 pm 

Yes, I will try to explain what (a simple version of) my strategy must look like. I will set up stoplevels depending on a % of the last (EOD) close but this stoplevel must be checked every tick. I cannot wait 5 or 10 minutes for example in case of an event that causes a sharp decline in prices when Im in a long position. The technical analyses to generate a buy or sell signal on the other hand is based on daily data. What I would like to do is check the pricelevel at the end of a trading day and compare it with the exponational average of lets say the last 5 days. Depending on the situation at hand the strategy must check if the desired position is already live and if not, the desired position must be filled before the close of that day plus a stop level must be set for the next 24 hours. Advice and/or explanations regarding the code required to build the explained strategy is very welcome as I am a newbie to programming in smartquant.

Regards Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 pm 

Then you can either set a timer to be triggered at the end of trading day, or check time of the last trade and compare it with day time.