SmartQuant Discussion

Automated Quantitative Strategy Development, SmartQuant Product Discussion and Technical Support Forums
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 pm

All times are UTC + 3 hours

Post subject: OpenQuant versions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:05 pm 

Hi,

I upgraded to OQ versions today. (In order to try out the QuoteRouter, separate postings on that topic :) )

Both 32 and 64bit versions upgraded to version 3.3.1 (I hope I remember this correct). But after the upgrade I was unable to use both versions at the same time on the same pc. Before the upgrade I was able to use both, which was really, really handy. I used the 32 bit version for development work and short backtesting. While at the same time running the 64bit for longer/bigger backtesting. Really handy.

But after upgrade I was unable to start both the 34 and 64 versions at the same time. After downgrading the 32 bit version to 2.9.13 I was able to run both at the same time.

Is this intentionally so that the new 3.x.x version don't run at the same time or did something else change?

Thx,
Eelofi

Post subject: Re: OpenQuant versions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 pm 

We have not done anything special. What kind of error message do you get?

Regards,
Anton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:43 am 

Nothing special, just that OQ is already running and another cannot be started. Didn't happen before with 32 and 64 bit versions, they could be started at the same time.

I'll uninstall the 32bit version tomorrow again and reinstall it as the newest version and double check I still have the trouble. After that I'll repost the results here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:32 pm 

Yep,

double checked now, the problem remains.

v 2.9.13 32 bit uses the installation directory c:\program files (x86)\smartquant ltd\openquant 2\ by default.

And v 3.3.1 uses c:\program files (x86)\smartquant ltd\openquant\ by default. That's the only noticable difference in the install. And even if I change that install directory to the past one, the problem remains.

The other thing which I did notice was that 3.3.1 32bit seems to share the solutions in "start page" with v3.3.1 64bit. Where as in 2.9.13 they remain separate.

Br,
Eelofi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:11 pm 

Hi,

it looks like you are mixing Openquant 2 and 3, not 32 and 64 bit versions...

OpenQuant 2 and 3 install data files into different directories, so that there is no access sharing problem when you launch both 2 and 3.

32 and 64 bits use the same database, so that you can not run both at the same time.

Regards,
Anton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:38 pm 

Hmmm,

that could well be. All I know that before upgrading to 3.3.1 I was able to run the 32 and 64 bit versions at the same time just fine. Both had their own databases and solutions, which admittely has it's pros and cons.

Now after the upgrade, I can't any longer, which is quite a problem for myself :cry: . Yes, I can solve the problem by setting up a virtual pc, but that has some pros and cons again.

Thx,
Eelofi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:08 pm 

I am not sure this would help, but you can try to move data files to a different location using database manager tools. Though I am afraid this would change location for both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Regards,
Anton