SmartQuant Discussion

Automated Quantitative Strategy Development, SmartQuant Product Discussion and Technical Support Forums
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:27 pm

All times are UTC + 3 hours

Post subject: GUI possibilities?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:09 pm 

The SmartQuant System Architecture document says the following about GUI interfaces:
Quote:
While SmartQuant does not have the user-friendliness and convenience of good stock charting programs, it has far more functional depth for people who want to implement their own customized trading applications with custom GUI interfaces, like hedge funds or institutional trading departments might do.

As far as I have discovered OpenQuant has no functionality for creating and integrating custom graphical user interfaces (forms). I suppose this can be done by using .NET functionality but that the integration would then be up to me.

Is this correct or have I overlooked something? Maybe this applies to Quant Developer only?

Willy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:22 pm 

Hi Willi,

yes, it's about QuantDeveloper suite of products, www.quanthouse.com

Regards,
Anton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:06 pm 

Actually OQ is more for automatic trading where you can program all kinds of strategies quickly and automate it. When you automate it so you don't need so much GUI :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:19 pm 

Well, partly I'm the type of programmer that likes to display what's going on, both when it comes to performance of the trading system itself and the technical functions of the program, connections etc. Also the engineer side of me likes to have a control panel where I can watch the blinking lights. :-)

Another part of it is that I would like to create user friendly solutions that others can run for me.

It was just a question at this point and not that important. I'll continue working with OQ in the days ahead and see what it can do. Earning money will be the main point. :-)

Willy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:31 pm 

You can develop a dll using Windows Forms in Visual Studio and show a dialog window or any other GUI from your strategy code in OpenQuant IDE (you can also create a GUI form in the strategy code). This way you can furnish your strategy with a custom GUI.

What you can't do is to develop a standalone application (a trading front end, a black box, OpenQuant like application, etc.) with OpenQuant API in Visual Studio. This is only possible with QuantDeveloper API.

Regards,
Anton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:05 am 

Dr. Anton Fokin wrote:
You can develop a dll using Windows Forms in Visual Studio and show a dialog window or any other GUI from your strategy code in OpenQuant IDE (you can also create a GUI form in the strategy code). This way you can furnish your strategy with a custom GUI.

Hi Dr Anton,
can you show us one simple (but complete) example (one input and one output) then we can try to add more features our own? I am not programmer but I can learn from workable simple example and extend the functions. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:32 am 

Well, I think you can find Windows Forms examples in any .NET book or MSDN help :wink:

There also was a thread on this forum discussing custom dialog window called from strategy code.

Regards,
Anton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:44 pm 

Dr. Fokin,
A simple example as requested above would be in order here!
The available posts on this issue are very confusing and contradictory.
thanks

Dr. Anton Fokin wrote:

What you can't do is to develop a standalone application (a trading front end, a black box, OpenQuant like application, etc.) with OpenQuant API in Visual Studio. This is only possible with QuantDeveloper API.

Regards,
Anton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:11 am 

OQ, could then marshal data back and forth with that DLL?
Could the DLL raise events in OQ and vice versa, OQ raise events in the DLL?

Dr. Anton Fokin wrote:

Regards,
Anton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:53 pm 

I guess yes, but it's ratrher a question to .NET / MSDN . OpenQuant script / strategy code supports everything that is supported by .NET.

Regards,
Anton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:01 am 

Quote:
While SmartQuant does not have the user-friendliness and convenience of good stock charting programs, ...

Is there any plan to add such functionality or is the plan to keep OQ purely a strategy building/testing/execution platform? OQ blows TradeStation away from a strategy perspective, but TradeStation destroys OQ from a live charting perspective. Personally I'd love to see OQ take TradeStation behind the woodshed on both! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:52 am 

If true, then this would be great and OQ will be my platform of choice. Ninja, intentionally blocks users for integrating with their platform outside of their environment, whereas based on your assumption OQ users could freely integrate withyou environment as in using .Net to rais Events within the OQ thread or raise C# events belonging to other independant programs from within the OQ environment.

I'll have a go at it and keep the forum informed.
Like I said, if true this will give the users a free hand to combine the best of both worlds and make OQ the #1 choice.

Dr. Anton Fokin wrote:
I guess yes, but it's ratrher a question to .NET / MSDN . OpenQuant script / strategy code supports everything that is supported by .NET.

Regards,
Anton

Post subject: Re: GUI possibilities?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:50 am 

Just to update this thread with a pointer to more threading info, and a sample Form to run.

http://www.smartquant.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=7740