SmartQuant Discussion

Automated Quantitative Strategy Development, SmartQuant Product Discussion and Technical Support Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC + 3 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:30 am 

Currently OQ has no support for running external tools on the code file in the editor. I suppose this has not been a big limitation for most people, because non-technical programmers probably don't miss the functionality, and more sophisticated technical programmers probably do most of their development work in Visual Studio, where the external tools facility exists. Nonetheless, I will record the request here.

In Visual Studio, I have several options for formatting my strategy code. VS provides its own set of automatic formatting options, plus my (excellent) ReSharper plugin for VS provides additional formatting options, plus I have been using a more powerful external code formatter for years (PolyStyle, now discontinued), and recently I wrote my own simple formatter to provide Polystyle-like functionality that VS and ReSharper do not.

In VS, I can press a few hot keys to tell VS to write out my code file, format it using my external formatter, read the file back into the VS editor, and place the cursor where it was before formatting occurred. This is a very convenient function, since it allows me to keep my code "beautiful" the way I like it (mostly preserving screenspace both horizontally and vertically).

I think it would be nice to have the same external tools functionality in OQ, especially for those people who don't work in VStudio.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:26 am 

Hi Kevin,

I guess native OQ integration into Visual Studio (as plugin or isolated shell) would look and feel much better than all other tricks (like attaching OQ as an external process to Visual Studio).

We are currently actively working on this.

Regards,
Anton