SmartQuant Discussion

Automated Quantitative Strategy Development, SmartQuant Product Discussion and Technical Support Forums
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:32 pm

All times are UTC + 3 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 pm 

I've recent been exporting and reloading my VStudio application settings to move between versions, and to keep the settings under SVN source code control while I'm changing them. It's a very convenient process -- click a few times to export all settings into a location of your choice (or import them similarly).

Currently there is no way for OQ customers to export their OQ app settings into a visible location for storage or version control. (The way I've been doing it for years is to hunt down the location of my custom chart settings in hidden system or AppData folders, and manually doing SVN source code control operations there. Ugh.)

This is not an optimal process. It would be much more convenient if customers had a menu choice to export ALL OQ app settings into a human readable XML file, and a symmetric choice to import all of them into OQ again.

By ALL settings, I mean to include those of the simulation engine, bar factory, provider options, and so on. The deeper design problem addressed by ALL is that the current solution/project design model does not capture everything you need to load and run a previously constructed solution. In particular, the simulation engine and execution engine configuration settings necessarily must be changed between projects of a different nature. For example, to run an end-of-day simulation on IBM, I need to use different simulation/execution settings (eg FillOnBars=true, BuildBarsFromTrades=false, etc) than I do for loading and running a current futures strategy (which requires FillOnBars=false, FillOnTrades=true, FillOnNextTrade=true, BuildBarsFromTrades=true, etc).

Currently I have to remember (usually when the backtest fails miserably) and then manually change all the settings when I switch between projects. But if I had the ability to export/import settings, I could just (1) reload my project, (2) import the saved settings for that project, and (3) then click run the strategy. Much easier, wouldn't you agree?

I think the real solution is to include the app settings within the current solution/project model, so that all settings are properly managed and configured when I load or save a solution. SVN on the projects/solutions would then capture the associated app settings too. But in the meantime, if you could give customers a menu choice to manually export/import app settings to a user-defined location (maybe set the default output location to beside the current project .oqp file?), then users could manage this process themselves until the day that app settings were included in project files. Thanks.