SmartQuant Discussion

Automated Quantitative Strategy Development, SmartQuant Product Discussion and Technical Support Forums
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:11 am

All times are UTC + 3 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:04 am 

Currently this forum supports both Russian and English users.

In the old days, the vast majority of posts were in English, so it was easy for English users (like me) to keep up to date with the forum by selecting "View unread posts" to see all the latest traffic concerning SQ products. It didn't take much time, and there was a lot of useful English traffic in the 10-or-so active English forums.

All Russian traffic was located in one forum, so Russian-only speakers could avoid English postings by going to that single forum. They could easily see all the latest postings simply by looking at the most recent postings in that single forum. No need to select "View unread posts" for them, since they only worked in one forum.

Then a few years ago, the number of Russian posts drastically increased (lots of new Russian sales, I guess?), and that made it really hard for English speakers to use the "View unread posts" to see all the latest postings in all the English forums. It rapidly got so bad that I just gave up on the forums totally -- I couldn't stand the time and hassle of searching for English postings among the overwhelming Russian traffic.

It probably took me a year or more to figure out a way to make my life simpler. Now the first thing I do is enter the Russian forum and click the link "Mark All Posts as Read". This removes all Russian traffic from my next move, which is to click "View All Unread Posts." Now I can limit myself to English-only traffic, which is nice. (But there sure isn't much English forum traffic these days, compared to the old days several years ago.)

I think it would be useful if there was a sticky forum FAQ that explained my technique above on how to filter out unwanted language posts (for both Russian and English speakers). Maybe there are other people out there who were suffering the same problem that I had. They might appreciate this solution.