SmartQuant Discussion

Automated Quantitative Strategy Development, SmartQuant Product Discussion and Technical Support Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:21 am

All times are UTC + 3 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:23 pm 

Would be very convenient to see pathes like Path to Project file somewere in GUI.
Same for Solution.

Last edited by newDave on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:28 pm 

Start Page -> Recent solutions ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:31 pm 

Works Only for solutions and even not very nice.
Now I have to open solution file in notepad and check path to project.

Last edited by newDave on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:22 am 

Also it would be very convenient to get a path to project and solution folders in strategy code.

This is small but very useful feature. In my case I am really in trouble already with reall mess of many optimization logs, simulation logs and deattached many versions of source files/projects.
Adding path properties would enable us to manage logs storage efficiently.
(we can save a link or we can put the log in same place or other ways..)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:58 pm 

Dr. Anton Fokin wrote:
Start Page -> Recent solutions ?

Why it is not possible even to copy the path from the screen to clipboard ??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:23 pm 

Hi, the problem is that we use a web navigation widget and copy functionality can only be enabled with all other web navigation functions (forward, backward, reload menu, etc.), which we don't need on the start page.

A workaround is possible but it would take too much time to implement it right away.

Regards,
Anton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:46 pm 

Ok, thank you.
And how about this requirement:
"Also it would be very convenient to get a path to project and solution folders in strategy code." ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:24 pm 

Why I cannot choose my own path while saving project/solution? I would like for instance put the solution and project files into some custom SVN repository, so I checked - I can just move files there and hack the solution file manually to fix the path to the project file, but why I need to much effort to that? Would it not be easier if OQ just allowed to choose any path for solution and project? That's quite standard behavior I think.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:45 am 

sals3r0 wrote:
Why I cannot choose my own path while saving project/solution? I would like for instance put the solution and project files into some custom SVN repository, so I checked - I can just move files there and hack the solution file manually to fix the path to the project file, but why I need to much effort to that? Would it not be easier if OQ just allowed to choose any path for solution and project? That's quite standard behavior I think.

Hi sals3r0,

Is it still what you suggest to deal with the code.cs not being in your working copy?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:27 pm 

It sounds to me like sals3r0 is trying to overcome the source code control issues that are caused by the current OQ way of doing things. I agree that OQ makes source code control (eg with SVN) much harder than it needs to be. I believe it would not take much programming effort (a day or two) to fix these issues, but of course development resources are always constrained.

I use SVN (and have for many years with OQ), and my current approach is to first delete all the OQ distribution project files from their normal hardcoded storage place (on Win7, that's C:/users/me/My Documents/OpenQuant/Projects). I know it's a pretty drastic step to blow away all the distribution files, but then they don't interfere with me taking over the whole Projects directory as my SVN repository.

I don't want to check in the distribution files to my SVN repository, because they get in the way, and because sometimes change with each OQ upgrade, forcing me to investigate changes. I want to do SVN on my files, not on OQ files. So blowing away (or moving) the OQ distribution files solves my problem, at the expense of not being able to access the default project example files.

And having said all that, this method does not address the problem of putting my OQ application settings under SVN control. In order to do that, you have to unhide system files, dig around to find where OQ stores the chart settings (for example), and make another SVN repository there. That way, when you upgrade OQ, you can check out your old chart settings into a place where OQ can find them.

I think the best solution would be for OQ to allow you to export all of the OQ application settings into a human-readable, SVN-friendly XML file in a location of your choice. (I'll go post a new feature request for this right now.)

Hopefully these SVN tips will make your OQ-SVN life easier.